While some of us may look forward to an all-day saga of beers in the pool, sausages on the BBQ and Triple J's hottest 100 playing in the background, others like us have different plans for Australia Day.
How do you choose to spend this iconic day on the Australian Calender? I'm sure we can all agree that the music is on point, but instead of boozing away we are heading to the beach, to enjoy some good old sun, sand, surf and an acai bowl of course. Our Southbank and Burleigh stores are open with a nice little addition of live music, so come on in, escape the heat and enjoy a bowl and live music with us in store.
In the spirit of 'Straya Day' we thought we would share our top 3 recipes for you to take along to your shindigs wherever that takes you. When it comes to your health, it can be challenging if your friends have different priorities, trust us we have been there. However, the magic is created when you can combine both worlds into one. Rather than feeling obliged to eat and drink things that don't agree with yo body or isolate yourself from it all together, because let's face it, neither one of those options is serving our greater good.
GRAPEFRUIT + PASSIONFRUIT + MINT SPARKLING TONIC
2 Passionfruits (pulp)
1 Grapefruit (grated zest and then slice into circles) OR we love using 5 drops Doterra Grapefruit essential oil
1 handful of fresh mint washed
1 L Sparkling mineral water
1. Add the sparkling mineral water, fruit and mint to a large glass water jug, stir with a wooden spoon to combine
2. Add a handful of ice to four glasses and fill with the tonic mixture
RAW LAMINGTON SLICE w ACAI CHIA JAM
3 cups raw cashews soaked overnight
2 cups desiccated coconut
1/2 cup coconut cream
2 tbsp hulled tahini
½ cup rice malt syrup/ maple syrup
Acai, Lemon & Chia Jam
3 tbsp acai powder
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp rice malt syrup/ maple syrup
1 ½ cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
½ cup coconut cream
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp rice malt syrup./ maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut cream, ⅛ cup rice malt syrup ⅛ cup cacao powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 cups desiccated coconut
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To make the 'sponge' blitz your cashews in a food processor until it becomes fine crumbs. Begin to add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until just combined. Keep a close eye on the mixture, as if you over process it, it will become too solid. Transfer the 'sponge' into a lined baking tray and use the back of a metal spoon to help smooth it out over the tray, place it into the freezer
- To make the acai chia jam, blitz the acai, raspberry, lemon zest and rice malt syrup in a small blender for 10 seconds, add the chia seeds and leave it to the side to allow it to thicken. Once thickened take the baking tray out of the freezer and spread out the jam evenly over the 'sponge' layer.
- For the cashew cream, carefully drain and rinse the cashews, begin to add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blitz until it's nice n creamy. Remove the baking tray from the freezer and carefully spread the cashew cream over the acai jam layer. Place the slice back into the freezer
- For the topping, carefully melt all ingredients except the desiccated coconut over a double boiler and continue to mix until well combined.
- Remove the slice from the freezer, pour over the chocolate topping and sprinkle the coconut over the top.
- Freeze for at least an hour, cut the slice into 12 slices and keep in fridge until ready to eat, otherwise, the chocolate may end up everywhere
Macadamia + Lemon Myrtle Crusted Chicken
2 Free range chicken thighs
20g macadamia nuts roughly chopped
Zest 1 lemon
1 Handful flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
1/2 TBSP cold pressed organic coconut oil + 1 tsp for frying
1/2 tsp Murry River lemon myrtle salt (available from The Source Bulk Foods)
Pinch black pepper
1. Combine the ingredients (excluding the chicken) in a medium-sized mixing bowl
2. Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat, while your waiting for the pan to warm up begin to trim off any excess fat around your chicken thighs
3. Transfer the chicken thighs into your mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and use your hands to coat the chicken
4. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil to your pan, once melted begin to transfer your chicken to the pan, cook for 4 minutes either side or until golden brown
We love serving this chicken with some fresh greens and mango, avocado, cucumber, mint and red chilli salsa
Have a beautiful Australia Day Berries and don't forget to tag us in all your creations.