Makes: 1 Large Loaf
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Oven Temperature: 180
I love working with Rhubarb in Winter. It is such an incredible, versatile vegetable. I had some leftover strawberries in the fridge that were a few weeks old so I decided to throw them in and as I am trying really hard to reduce my waste at the moment. This is my Rhubarb & Strawberry bread! P.S the honey in this bread absolutely makes it, so make sure you choose a good quality honey.. my favourite, of course, is Bee One Third Honey.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup traditional oats
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup locally sourced honey
1/4 cup olive oil
2 free range eggs
1/2 vanilla pod, seeds only
2 stalks rhubarb, chopped into 1cm pieces
1 punnet strawberries, chopped in quarters
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (Celcius).
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, oats, wholemeal flour and baking powder.
- Then in a medium bowl, mix all of your wet ingredients together. Once combined, pour over your dry mixture.
- Fold through the chopped strawberries & rhubarb.
- Grease a loaf pan and line with baking paper. Then carefully pour in your mixture.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Just a note that honey accelerates browning, so I placed a piece of alfoil over the loaf very lightly halfway through the bake to stop the browning but continue the baking process.
- The bread is done once you can insert a toothpick and it comes out completely clean.
This bread is beautiful just how it is, or even try lightly toasting and serving with a beautiful sugar-free jam.