Here are 4 immune boosting foods and spices that you can add to various meals and drinks to keep your immune system thriving. Increasing your consumption of these foods can aid in warding off infection, keeping you and your family healthy.
I'm still celebrating the return of the Apple Crumble Açai bowl which is now available in all stores for the Winter season. Last week I did a recipe for a real Apple Crumble, and then this week I spent everyday thinking of what else I could make Apple Crumble flavoured. I'm properly obsessed.
The only incredible thing about Winter is the fact that our Apple Crumble bowl comes back into stores. I had no idea when I created this bowl that is would become so well known. So to celebrate our good friend Apple Crumbie coming back into stores today, here is my really simple recipe for a real Apple Crumble
Before I started Kiss the Berry, I spent 6 months traveling around the USA, which is where I came across my first ever Acai bowl and the idea for KTB struck. But while I was munching down on Acai bowls I was also obsessed with cinnamon scrolls.
My incredible partner Edward has taste buds of an 8 year old. So I love to set myself challenges on how I can recreate his childhood favorites into healthy, wholesome treats. Here is my recipe for the Edward approved cookie dough protein balls!
Have you always wanted to be more eco-friendly, but you aren't sure where to even start?
You are not alone! It is easy to get overwhelmed with all the earth-friendly options and actions that we hear about all the time! Let us help you to take a step to be more sustainable today!
Yoga is one of those things you really need to do a few times to give it a proper go. Between the omming, the downward dogs, and the happy babies at first, it can seem a little bit much. But trust me - go back a second time and then even a third and you'll be hooked.
Can you count on one hand the things you intended to get done this week, yet failed to accomplish? If you can well done, however, if your anything like us, we dream BIG but being organised and accountable is the only way we can execute these dreams of ours into reality.
Sundays for us may seem selfish to some, as we clear our diaries for a little ‘me time’ to provide space for our minds, bodies and souls to reset and prepare for another week. Understanding that we truly cannot help others, before we help ourselves is oh so important and our loved ones will hopefully respect this fact.
Sometimes sitting still is the only way forward’, ‘sometimes sitting still is the only way forward’, ‘Sometimes sitting still is the only way forward’ repeat these precious words for as long as you need.
Yes reaching your dreams takes a little bit of hustle, but prolonged days of hustling will only come back to bite you (trust us we know). Take time to do ‘nothing’ I know it may be scary for some as we are so used to the go go go mentality. Doing ‘nothing’ will vary between each one of you, but simply allowing yourself to clear your schedule for at least 1 afternoon a week will do you wonders, and you will find it easier to breathe again.
Our top tips for a Sunday are;
1. Plan your meals for the week ahead to ensure your providing your body with nourishment all week long, your providing your mind & body with diversity and you keep within your budget
We like to collect our fresh produce from our local farmers market, this doesn’t have to be done on a Sunday, find your local farmers market and go from there.
2. Write down your 3 Big Rocks and what you would like to achieve from them this week
For example they could look a little like this
Big Rock No. 1: Work
Big Rock No. 2: Health & Fitness
Big Rock No. 3: Blog
3. Whip together a DIY face mask - see recipe in the previous post
4. Diffuse a relaxing blend of essential oils, we love combining doTERRA lavender & frankincense in our living room and bedroom
5. Lay out your workout clothes for the morning OR place them in your bag so you have them on hand after work
6. Write down in a notebook
- The best thing that happened to you today
- Something you learnt today
7. Sip on Digest Mayde Tea after dinner to help your body digest your food effectively and allow your body to use its energy to restore overnight. This tea is a beautiful blend; it’s sweet, soothing and fresh, containing the most favoured carminative herbs to help soothe the length of the digestive system (Try our Mayde Tea range in store)
8. Give yourself a self-massage with black sesame oil. This is an ancient Ayurvedic practice to nourish and nurture your body. This practice not only helps your skin, hair, nails and joints healthy but it stimulates and balances the energy points throughout your body. Purchase organic black sesame oil from your local health food store.
9. Stretch yo body or foam roll while you listen to a podcast or watch Netflix. It’s not always about taking things away berries, start introducing these nourishing practices and watch the old ‘habits’ naturally fall away
10. We know you already know this one, but….. switch off your electronic devices by 8:30pm. They mess with our circadian rhythm which has a longgg list of negative health impacts with hormonal disturbances sitting at the top percentile.
We hope that helps berries!
Get your girls together and keep each other accountable. We LOVE to see how you take our info into your own life, simply tag #berrywellness to share the loveee
Happy Sunday Berries
Lots of love
Did you know...
'Without bees, there would be no food...
Without food, there would be no human existence', our little buzzing bees just gained a whole new level of appreciation right?
We are proud to announce that we work closely with the incredible Jack, founder of Bee One Third to have access to our very own KTB rooftop honey.
Bee One Third - Neighbourhood Honey is an urban and regional beekeeping organisation working to increase local bee populations within the urban and peri-urban landscape.
Be One Third reconnects communities with the reality of what pollinators do for our food system, our health and our overall well-being.
Here are some crazy facts for you; Globally, Bees contribute directly to 1 in every 3 plates of food that we eat, meaning, one-third of our global food system is wholly reliant on bee pollination. How crazy is that!
On a larger scale, bees contribute to over 97 percent of the global food production - from seed manufacture, all the way through to the growing of vegetables, nuts and fruits. Mind-blowing isn't it!
Therefore, ensuring we get behind beekeepers like Jack is super important to ensure our environment and food supply flourishes naturally.
Why apply it to your skin?
Firstly because our skin in our largest organ, it absorbs anything that it is exposed to, good or bad. Honey is an incredible tool to help your skin glow from acne to ageing. Raw honey is naturally antibacterial (helps to combat acne), is jam-packed full of antioxidants ( great for slowing down ageing) and helped to boost the moisture in your skin to promote a glowing complexion.
Drop by one of our stores to pick up our very own KTB raw rooftop honey pot.
Berry Well Face Mask
Makes a mask for your girlfriend & yourself
1 heaped teaspoon of spirulina
1 teaspoon of chlorella
2 tablespoons of organic coconut yoghurt/ organic goat yoghurt
2 tablespoons of our raw honey
A good squeeze of lemon
+ a pump of jojoba oil (optional)
+ 1 tsp bentonite clay (optional)
1. Gently place all of your ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir together with a wooden teaspoon.
2. Once combined use your hands to apply the mixture to your face evenly.
3. Leave the mask on for about an hour, in this time it should begin to harden, before washing it off with warm water.
While some of us may look forward to an all-day saga of beers in the pool, sausages on the BBQ and Triple J's hottest 100 playing in the background, others like us have different plans for Australia Day.
How do you choose to spend this iconic day on the Australian Calender? I'm sure we can all agree that the music is on point, but instead of boozing away we are heading to the beach, to enjoy some good old sun, sand, surf and an acai bowl of course. Our Southbank and Burleigh stores are open with a nice little addition of live music, so come on in, escape the heat and enjoy a bowl and live music with us in store.
In the spirit of 'Straya Day' we thought we would share our top 3 recipes for you to take along to your shindigs wherever that takes you. When it comes to your health, it can be challenging if your friends have different priorities, trust us we have been there. However, the magic is created when you can combine both worlds into one. Rather than feeling obliged to eat and drink things that don't agree with yo body or isolate yourself from it all together, because let's face it, neither one of those options is serving our greater good.
GRAPEFRUIT + PASSIONFRUIT + MINT SPARKLING TONIC
2 Passionfruits (pulp)
1 Grapefruit (grated zest and then slice into circles) OR we love using 5 drops Doterra Grapefruit essential oil
1 handful of fresh mint washed
1 L Sparkling mineral water
1. Add the sparkling mineral water, fruit and mint to a large glass water jug, stir with a wooden spoon to combine
2. Add a handful of ice to four glasses and fill with the tonic mixture
RAW LAMINGTON SLICE w ACAI CHIA JAM
3 cups raw cashews soaked overnight
2 cups desiccated coconut
1/2 cup coconut cream
2 tbsp hulled tahini
½ cup rice malt syrup/ maple syrup
Acai, Lemon & Chia Jam
3 tbsp acai powder
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp rice malt syrup/ maple syrup
1 ½ cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
½ cup coconut cream
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp rice malt syrup./ maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut cream, ⅛ cup rice malt syrup ⅛ cup cacao powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 cups desiccated coconut
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To make the 'sponge' blitz your cashews in a food processor until it becomes fine crumbs. Begin to add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until just combined. Keep a close eye on the mixture, as if you over process it, it will become too solid. Transfer the 'sponge' into a lined baking tray and use the back of a metal spoon to help smooth it out over the tray, place it into the freezer
- To make the acai chia jam, blitz the acai, raspberry, lemon zest and rice malt syrup in a small blender for 10 seconds, add the chia seeds and leave it to the side to allow it to thicken. Once thickened take the baking tray out of the freezer and spread out the jam evenly over the 'sponge' layer.
- For the cashew cream, carefully drain and rinse the cashews, begin to add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blitz until it's nice n creamy. Remove the baking tray from the freezer and carefully spread the cashew cream over the acai jam layer. Place the slice back into the freezer
- For the topping, carefully melt all ingredients except the desiccated coconut over a double boiler and continue to mix until well combined.
- Remove the slice from the freezer, pour over the chocolate topping and sprinkle the coconut over the top.
- Freeze for at least an hour, cut the slice into 12 slices and keep in fridge until ready to eat, otherwise, the chocolate may end up everywhere
Macadamia + Lemon Myrtle Crusted Chicken
2 Free range chicken thighs
20g macadamia nuts roughly chopped
Zest 1 lemon
1 Handful flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
1/2 TBSP cold pressed organic coconut oil + 1 tsp for frying
1/2 tsp Murry River lemon myrtle salt (available from The Source Bulk Foods)
Pinch black pepper
1. Combine the ingredients (excluding the chicken) in a medium-sized mixing bowl
2. Place a non-stick pan over a medium heat, while your waiting for the pan to warm up begin to trim off any excess fat around your chicken thighs
3. Transfer the chicken thighs into your mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and use your hands to coat the chicken
4. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil to your pan, once melted begin to transfer your chicken to the pan, cook for 4 minutes either side or until golden brown
We love serving this chicken with some fresh greens and mango, avocado, cucumber, mint and red chilli salsa
Have a beautiful Australia Day Berries and don't forget to tag us in all your creations.
noun - the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
How do we create a life driven by a place of love, over one of fear? The essence of this life we seek is found in the daily practice of g r a t i t u d e.
It's easy to fall into the traps of self-comparison and low self-esteem with the world of social media at our fingertips, bombarding us with what we 'should' be doing and what we 'should' look like in order to conform. Although, have you ever taken a step back and truly dug deep into your life? When we provide ourselves with the space to do so, we are able to reconnect with our minds, our physical bodies and our souls.
In this place we surrender, surrender to the pain that we may have been numbing, face the negative stories we tell ourselves and begin to be open to the joy our life may bring. In order for us to heal, to work towards living o u r best life, we must surrender.
Once we have reached this place, as daunting as it may seem I promise you there are brighter, happier and more fulfilling days on the other side.
How to begin your gratitude practice? The best part of this process is that it's in your hands to mould it to what works best for you. W A R N I N G it may feel awkward at the beginning like any new venture, but once those days are over it will flow, it will be something you crave and cannot lay your head on the pillow before doing so.
Where to start?
Set the scene, I like to do this by filling my diffuser with water, adding a few drops of essential oils, boil the kettle for a hot cacao or peppermint tea and listen to Connie Chapmans 'Slow Down Tune In' Playlist on Spotify. Take three long deep belly breaths, grab a pen and your dedicated 'gratitude journal' and begin to write whatever comes to mind. It will be messy, it will be raw and sometimes nothing will flow, in these times you can use the prompts below;
- What are three things you are grateful for today?
- What was the best thing that happened to you today?
- What made you smile today?
- What did you do to feed your soul today?
- What music calms you?
- Who in your life could you not live without and why?
Start small, don't force it and enjoy the process of self-discovery and self-preservation.
Stay tuned for some exciting workshops on the horizon!
Be kind to your self berries
The New Year has already arrived and while transitioning into this new white canvas waiting ahead of us it’s easy to forget how important it to slow down, take a long breath and rejuvenate before the busy, busy times that are coming towards us. We can easily let ourselves feel overwhelmed with all of the plans, bucket lists and resolutions that it can sometimes affect us in a negative way. We simply forget to take time to nurture and take care of our own energy. How often during these intense periods do we mindfully dedicate time to ourselves? How would we like to feel each and every day of this New Year? It is time for us to get clear on what we actually want to accomplish during the next couple of months. And to do so, we need to take time to take care of our mind, body and soul.
Here are five rituals and spots on the Gold Coast our Berries have found life changing during this time of the year!
1. Morning Yoga and Meditation!
When The Studio Upstairs had opened just above our Burleigh Store, we have felt as if it was a sign for us to take care of our physical and mental health and spend more time practicing yoga. Waking up earlier just after the sunrise and dedicating an hour to flow in this beautiful white space has shifted our mindset completely. Being mindful about the way you ease into a day, spending some time to simply stretch and focus on breathing will regenerate your energy sources for the day and give you this famous post yoga glow! Both Elle and Bec have started The Studio Upstairs with a vision of creating a space for people to gather, relax and wind down. You can take part in regular yoga classes, workshops or book assisted stretching that will open all of the tensed parts of your body.
more info: https://www.thestudioupstairs.com.au/
2. Soul Food!
How often do we start the New Year with an intention to get fitter, to lose those last couple of kilos, to slim down and just simply look better? This time we have decided to do it in a loving way. With a mindset all about embracing our beautiful bodies, we have decided to nurture them in the right way. Our main purpose within Kiss The Berry is creating the most nutritious bowls, that taste heavenly and bring all of the health benefits you are dreaming of. Variety of our bowls provide all necessary micro and macro nutrients and we always stock up on all of the possible superfoods. Acai itself is a little miraculous berry from Amazonian forest that is well known to boost your immunity and provide with vitamins and minerals. This year we would love to invite you to see one of our stores and discover why are we so passionate about our mission!
check out our menu: http://www.kisstheberry.com/menu/
3. The Bath House!
When our beautiful friends from The Greenhouse Canteen and Bar decided to open The Bath House, we almost cried from happiness. Is there anything better for your mind and body than a day full of treatments, sauna and maybe even an amazing massage? It’s time to give back to your body all of the love and care it gives us each and every day, to unwind, relax and restore. After one day spent in this heavenly space, you will clear your mind and feel ready to start reaching towards all of your incredible goals and desires.
more info: https://www.greenhousefactory.com.au/the-bathhouse
4. Escape the gravity!
Freeing your mind from all outside distractions in a sensory deprivation tank can be an ideal environment to completely and utterly restore and rejuvenate. Allowing your body to float weightlessly, free from gravity takes the pressure off your bones, muscles and joints. How does it work? Float tanks are based on a very dense Epsom Salt mixture in a flotation pod in which you lie down in lukewarm water. It promotes peaceful relaxation and eliminates fatigue that we may feel after our New Year celebrations.
You can experience how your body will react to this way of relaxation in Freedom Float Therapy and Wellness Centre just around the corner from our Burleigh Store.
more info: https://www.freedomfloatcentre.com.au/
5. Reconnect with Nature!
One o our biggest intentions for this year was to spend more time in the incredible Nature of Queensland. We are fortunate enough to have the most beautiful National Parks just a short drive away from our Burleigh Store and it’s just the right time to mindfully take a moment to switch off, explore and reconnect. While visiting Gold Coast, make sure to take yourself for an adventure to Springbrook National Park, swim under the Purling Brook Falls, discover the Natural Bridge and walk through lush, green tropical forests filled with singing parrots under the blue sky!
more info: https://www.npsr.qld.gov.au/parks/springbrook/pdf/springbrook-guide.pdf
Happy New Year, Berries!